Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 5

I can't believe this is the last day of my staycation with the kids! Not that the fun has to stop here...but I really do need to get back to a more realistic schedule. I actually took a picture of my filthy kitchen floor yesterday, intending to post it as proof that I haven't done a stitch of housework this week. For some reason the bazillion crumbs that can't be missed in real life are totally invisible in the photos, so I decided not to bother.

Anyway, we ended our week with a bang. After a brief jaunt through Annabell's imaginary world of stuffed animals, we jumped into the van and headed to the grocery store to buy ingredients for The World's Biggest Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich. Liam requested this treat weeks ago when I first told him about our staycation. There are few things that will pull him away from his precious trains, but butter, sugar, and chocolate are three of them.



Liam is one of those kids who will always say "Louder!" when the volume is already maxed, and "Faster!" when you're already speeding. I did my best to make a huge cookie, and was informed that my attempt was "big, but not huge." Ah, well...I tried.


Since the weather today didn't lend itself to eating outside, we mixed things up a bit by having a bedroom picnic. I had swung by Redbox when we were out earlier and picked up Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, which we watched while munching on turkey sandwiches, fruit, and popcorn. No quiet time today, but lots of snuggling on Mommy's bed. What a great way to spend a rainy afternoon!

After the movie we finished assembling the cookie sandwich, put it in the basement freezer to harden, and built yet another train track with building block enhancements. I think we're onto something with this one.

Mommy got a little grouchy tonight...still feeling under the weather and beginning to stress about the messy house. Thankfully I was able to shake off the mope for Bible time, when Liam chose the story, "Adam and Even Fall Into Sin." With such a wealth of insight into God's character, it was hard to boil this one down to three broad statements. We finally settled on the fact that God:
  • gives people choices.
  • still loves us even when we do bad things.
  • doesn't ignore our sin - there are consequences.
So...I guess this is the end of Mommy, Annabell, and Liam's Staycation. Part of me is saying TGIF, and the other part of me is a little disappointed that the week is already over. These daily blog posts have been more time consuming than I expected, but I think I'm going to miss them! They've been a great source of accountability, and there's something therapeutic about reflecting on the ups and downs of the day. I'm inspired to get back into the habit of journaling, even if I don't have time to capture our daily lives on camera.

Thanks for joining us this week! And if you'd like to keep up to date on our McLennan moments, we have plenty of room for more followers on the blog! I KNOW there has to be more than one person out there reading this...

Have a great holiday weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Now who would that 'one' reader be? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one huge ice cream cookie. Great job! Have enjoyed checking in to see how your staycation has been going:)

    Carrie G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like you all had a great week!
    that ice cream cookie looks yummy!

    ~Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great week you guys had! So glad you got some down time. And I agree, the cookie looks huge and yummy.

    ReplyDelete