Sunday, May 23, 2010

Mommy, Annabell, & Liam's Staycation Week

About three weeks ago Annabell walked up to me and asked in a quiet, sad voice, "Mommy, why don't you have time to play with me anymore?" Obviously, I wanted to cry. I've known for months that I wasn't giving my kids the attention they crave. Life has been so incredibly busy - preschool shuttling, Bible study responsibilities, increased office work due to business transitions, and hours upon hours of planning for our adoption fundraiser.


In response to my daughter's honest question, I set down my laptop, took her hand, and walked over to our gigantic refrigerator calendar. Then I drew a big, red line through May 24-28. "That's our week, sweetie," I told her. "As soon as this fundraiser is over, I'm spending a whole week with you and Liam."

It might not sound like much, but to us, it is. This will be the first week since last August that we aren't pulled away (either physically, mentally, or emotionally) by all the things I just mentioned. My personality is such that, with the fundraiser finally behind us, I want to dive into another project - cleaning the basement, painting the shutters, picking out kindergarten curriculum, etc. I'm not one to take a week off just because. But my kids need it. And deep down I know I need it, too.

We're not planning anything spectacular...in fact I haven't made any plans at all. That's the point: we're going to rest and enjoy each other, and take each day as it comes. It'll be an adventure!

And since I'm not the best at following through with doing nothing in particular, I've decided to document the week and post a report each day. The added accountability can't hurt, right? So, please join us for Mommy, Annabell, & Liam's Staycation Week. See you tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. take the phone off the hook, check email only once a day, and ENJOY the precious time with them!!! :)

    ReplyDelete